Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What types of things should I, as a teacher, look for when previewing/assessing a webpage for use in my class?

The types of things that I as a teacher would like to use for assessing a webpage in my class must have information that the students can easily understand and reflect upon when reading. It is more fun and important for the students to have useful information that they can apply to what we are working on in class. I personally like it when a website is easy to navigate and I do not have to connect to link after link to get the information that I am seeking. I know that students like interesting websites with photos, graphics, games and more. This is one thing that I would consider as well when looking for and assessing a webpage for use in the classroom. I do not want the students to get bored and wander away from the chosen website. Also, I need to consider that many of the students are working at different levels when it comes to computers and that they all need to be able to use the website and get the most information out of it. The website must be appealing for the advanced computer student as well as the beginner student.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen,
    I agree with your comment on finding a website that is appealing to students. A lesson can be much more exciting for both the teacher and student that way. I also like how you mentioned that a teacher should look for a webpage that is easy to navigate. The more links we have students clicking on the higher the chances will be that the students will end up on a website they are not supposed to be on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,
    I agree with your comments about having websites that are easy to navigate and don't have excessive links to find the necessary information. I could see the benefit of developing a lesson where students would have to navigate teacher approved links in order to gather the necessary information, but for most uses this could cause unwanted "issues" that can take away from the learning process.

    I thought you brought up a good point when you spoke about the students being at different levels when it comes to computers, this also holds true for students at varying academic levels. We must ensure the students' needs will be meet and that all will benefit from the sites.

    ReplyDelete